Thursday, April 23, 2009

The Running Game

The roadways are now a playing field; driving, a game of life and death... but not for us humans. I'm talking about the quails; the ones that NEVER die! I guess it's just a game of life then... Anyways, it is impossible to hit them! You may be literally on top of one while speeding down the road at 73km/h and it will happily prance through the maze of squealing tires. This running game, as I'm sure they call it, is merely a joke. It's a smack in the face of humanity and its big powerful machines as something so small is capable of evading the impending danger approximately every two to seven minutes (depending on traffic conditions). After close and endless observation, I've noticed that the quails actually run into the road at the sound of an approaching vehicle, only to turn around when they find themselves under a roaring behemoth of a gas-guzzler. Thus, each and every day I wake up and ask myself "How can these quails run so fast and why do they refuse to fly?" and each and every day I am stumped by the most simple of life's questions. So each day I set out to experiment upon these quails although I'm sure they don't know it. In fact, I am certain they are under the impression that me driving up and down the road is strictly for their amusement and, almost sadly, the 'running of the gauntlet' has yet to yield any casualties in all my years of driving. (Yes, I realize I've only been driving for 2 years, but I have been riding shotgun for many more!)
It's possible that quails are in fact demon sprites from the netherworld, but, nevertheless, the truth of the matter is: THEY DON'T DIE! Example: for about three years their was a quail with only one usable leg...and it could still escape from the shadow of death! Without flying!!!
I suppose the quest for dominance over this species of road runners is futile... I give up. My new motto is "Quails don't die, so don't even try!"

No comments:

Post a Comment